This homemade chest rub is made with all natural ingredients and essential oils to help soothe cough and congestion.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
It’s that time of year again when cough and congestion become part of our life with little ones. They seem to catch many colds each winter as they build up their little immune systems. Earthley makes a great chest rub but since I had the supplies (I have made soap for years) I decided to make my own homemade chest rub with essential oils.
What essential oils should I use for a cough and cold?
- Eucalyptus – helps relieve coughing, helps loosen and clear mucus
- Wintergreen – pain and inflammation relief, helps relax muscles of the windpipe
- Peppermint – helps treat coughs and colds, supports healthy lungs
- Tea Tree – helps treat coughs and colds, helps maintain a healthy immune system
- Lavender – soothes and relaxes
- Camphor – supports healthy lungs
- Frankincense – valued for its effect on respiratory system
These are a few oils that can be used in a chest rub. I’m sure there are many other essential oils that would be useful in treating coughs and colds. As always, please do your own research and use oils that you are comfortable with.
How to make homemade chest rub with essential oils
- Begin by measuring the coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax into a glass mason jar or Pyrex measuring cup.
- Place the glass container into a pot of water and heat over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat and, once cooled a bit, stir in the essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow it to harden.
- Rub onto chest or soles of feet as needed.
Shop this post
- Earthley – a chest rub in a tube, great for on the go
- Revive – I buy my essential oils from here
- Brambleberry – I buy a lot of my oils and butters from here
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1 Tbsp beeswax
- 20 drops essential oil (eucalyptus, lavender, wintergreen, camphor, frankincense, rosemary)
Combine coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a Pyrex measuring cup or glass mason jar. Place the glass container into a pot of water and heat over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat, let cool a little, and stir in essential oils. Pour the mixture into a container and allow it to harden. Rub on chest or soles of feet as needed.