This quinoa salad with avocado and tomatoes is a great addition to a summer meal plan. Other ingredients include corn, black beans, peppers, and lemon and lime juice.
I find myself running out of meal ideas in the summer. I don’t feel like heating up the house using the oven, and who wants to eat a hot meal when it’s 90° outside? Therefore, I’m always on the lookout for salads that can be meals on their own or a salad to eat with some grilled meat. This quinoa salad is light and refreshing and a great side to a nice steak! We like to eat it with tortilla chips.
Ingredients for Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Tomatoes
- Black beans
This is a fairly simple salad to make. The bulk of the time needed to make it is for the chopping of the vegetables.
Start by cooking the quinoa as directed on the packaging. While that is cooking, chop the peppers, avocados, tomatoes, celery, and onion. Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled, add it to all of the chopped veggies. Stir in the black beans, corn, garlic, and cilantro. Mix it all together. Then squeeze the lemon and lime juice over it and give it another good stir.
Enjoy it as a side to some grilled meat. It is enjoyable as a salad or as a dip with some tortilla chips! Then how about some rhubarb torte for dessert?
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 pepper (your choice of color)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1 15-oz can corn
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- juice from half a lime
- juice from one lemon
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package directions. Once it is cooked, let it cool.
- Chop celery, avocado, tomatoes, onion, and peppers and place in a bowl.
- To the bowl add the cooled quinoa, black beans, corn, cilantro, and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add the juice of one lemon and half a lime to the salad and stir.
- Use whatever color pepper you like.
- I have used white onion if I don't have red onion on hand.
- Adjust lemon and lime juice amounts to your taste.
- I like to serve this as a dip with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 4gSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 18gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g