These healthy oatmeal chocolate chip chia cookies are sweetened with maple syrup and full of nutritious ingredients including peanut butter, old-fashioned oats, almond flour, chia seeds, and flax.
After the holiday season, and all the sugary goodies and sweets, I am ready to get back to our normal eating habits. These healthy oatmeal chocolate chip chia cookies are a staple in our home. They are packed with healthy ingredients that I feel good about giving to my kids. These cookies are also sweetened with maple syrup.
What makes this cookie healthier?
These cookies are healthier than your regular chocolate chip cookies because they are packed with many nutritious ingredients. These include:
- Peanut butter – great source of protein
- Old-fashioned oats – great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants
- Almond flour – low in carbohydrates and packed with nutrients
- Chia seeds – rich in nutrients, great source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber
- Ground flax – many nutrients, great source of omega-3 fatty acids, improves digestive health
- Maple syrup – a natural sweetener with a lower glycemic index and granulated sugar
How to Make Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Begin by creaming the butter and peanut butter together.
- Add maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, and salt; mix.
- Add the almond flour, flax, chia seeds, and baking soda. Mix until well combined.
- Lastly, mix in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto pans, flatten slightly with a fork, and bake until edges are lightly browned
I like to double this recipe to make a big batch, and then we have cookies in the freezer for the weeks to come. I actually prefer to eat these frozen so I keep them in the freezer all the time.
Any chocolate chips will work in these cookies but I prefer dark chocolate chips!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Chia Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, mix butter and peanut butter until smooth and creamy. Add maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, and salt, and mix again. Add almond flour, flax, chia seeds, and baking soda, and mix. Lastly add the oats and chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
Scoop cookie dough onto greased cookie sheets and press lightly with a fork to flatten them a little. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
I like to use dark chocolate chips but any chocolate chips will work!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 129mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
You may also enjoy this Granola Bar recipe.